Dr Rachel Barnes
Dr Barnes is a ophthalmologist with a special interest in retinal disorders. She completed her medical and ophthalmology training in Auckland and Waikato, followed by 1 year studying and working at the prestigious Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, and 6 months at St Paul’s Eye Unit in Liverpool. As well as being a founding member of the Retina Specialists group, Dr Barnes also works at Greenlane Hospital eye department and is an honorary clinical lecturer at Auckland University department of Ophthalmology. She has been involved in a number of research projects and is a reviewer for the journal: Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. Dr Barnes is currently the New Zealand representative on the committee of the Australian and New Zealand society of retinal specialists.
Dr Barnes’ areas of special expertise include:
- Age related macular degeneration assessment and treatment.
- Diabetic eye disease screening and management.
- Cataract surgery in state-of-the-art facilities at Oasis Surgical Centre.
- Inherited retinal diseases assessment and counselling.
- Digital retinal photography and angiography.
- Cross-sectional retinal imaging with Ocular Coherence Tomography (OCT).
- Acute eye problem management.